Calling an Uber or Lyft has become one of the most popular ways to get around Los Angeles. For many victims, however, using a rideshare app to hail a ride ends in tragedy. Uber alone reported receiving 5,981 allegations of serious sexual assault in the U.S. over two years, according to a new report covering 2017 and 2018. The claims range from unwanted touching and kissing to rape. This shocking data does not include the thousands of other sexual assault cases that occurred on Lyft or the other rideshare vehicles. It also does not include the assaults that never get reported.
If you or a loved one has been sexually assaulted by an Uber or Lyft driver during a ride you initiated on the app, you need to protect your legal rights. At The Carrillo Law Firm, our team of experienced Los Angeles Uber and Lyft sexual assault attorneys serve victims of rideshare sexual abuse in Los Angeles and all of Southern California. Our goal is to optimize the chances of a victim holding an at-fault party accountable and obtaining fair compensation.
Are Rideshare Companies Liable in Sexual Assault Cases?
Uber and Lyft are no strangers to sexual assault cases in California. A number of victims have filed lawsuits against both companies in pursuit of damages following alleged rape and sexual assault crimes.
A rideshare company, such as Lyft or Uber, can be held at least partially liable for the sexual assault of its riders by the company’s drivers if it reasonably should have done more to prevent the incident, such as do a better job at vetting driver applicants. Rideshare companies must take responsibility for the safety and effectiveness of their procedures by, at the very least:
- Providing driver hiring and training policies
- Doing vehicle inspections
- Performing ride safety evaluations
- Providing and following protocols in emergencies
- Engaging in serious sexual assault reporting and investigation
- Engaging in serious background searches of their drivers
The failure to fulfill any duty of care, contributing to sexual abuse, could be grounds to file a civil lawsuit against Uber or Lyft for negligence. Our Los Angeles Uber and Lyft sexual assault attorneys will investigate the facts to determine which parties are liable in your case and what the level of negligence is for each party.
Types of Damages for Victims of Uber/Lyft Sexual Assault
The damages you can collect from an Uber or Lyft assault lawsuit vary depending on various factors. Although you cannot press charges in a civil claim, you can receive money damages for your injuries. You can expect to recover restitution for:
– Economic damages: This type of damage includes medical bills, such as hospitalization fees, surgery costs, medication, and further treatment; property loss that you may have sustained as a result of the assault (such as broken or lost phones and purses); and loss of income that may result as a result of your injuries (both physical and emotional).
– Non-economic damages: This type of damage consists of any compensation that cannot be measured with money, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, mood disorders, and anxiety.
– Punitive damages: Punitive damages are essentially a type of punishment that you can seek in a civil claim in lieu of pressing charges. This type of damage is meant to further punish the driver for their reprehensible actions and to influence Lyft or Uber to establish a safer atmosphere through a proper hiring process.
Selecting the Right Attorney
Selecting the right attorney is crucial in winning a sexual assault case against Uber or Lyft. The legal team at The Carrillo Law Firm has helped clients win sexual assault claims and get them the compensation they deserve for having been treated in such an abhorrent manner.
We have recovered millions of dollars, including from punitive damages. While we are aggressive when it comes to legal matters pertaining to sexual assault cases, we are compassionate to our clients and dedicated to making sure that they are staying mentally strong and healthy.
Contact Our Lyft Sexual Assault Attorneys
The Carrillo Law Firm places our clients first, and on a human level. Our main concern is that you are safe and healthy and free from threats or physical harm. Only after this, will we start to fight to bring you as much restitution as possible for any damages you suffered at the hands of a Lyft or Uber driver.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of sexual assault while in a Lyft or Uber, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Whether you believe your sexual assault was partially due to Lyft or Uber’s negligence or resulted from the driver’s behavior alone, you should immediately contact an attorney. For more information or to consult with an experienced New York City Lyft or Uber sexual assault attorney, please call The Carrillo Law Firm at 626-799-9375.